Mushrooms apparently look dull and colorless but they are full of rich nutrients. In fact, the fungus has got every potential to be part of a healthy diet. A regular portion of mushroom in your diet will definitely keep you healthier. For those who are still not aware of the health benefits of mushrooms, here is a list which will definitely convince them to include mushrooms in their meal.
- Mushrooms are great source of Vitamin D
Vitamin D is very important for our body. It has been found that about 40% of the world’s adult population suffers from Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency can cause effects like.
- It reduces your bone health
- It can increase the risk for certain types of cancers
- It can have an negative impact on your weight
Researches and studies found that mushrooms can offer fifty to hundred percent of our daily needs of Vitamin D. Sunlight is our primary source of Vitamin D. So, for those who do not get their regular quota of sunlight everyday can intake Vitamin D through mushrooms. Also, during winter, mushrooms can be an easy choice for including vitamin D for your daily dosage. For people who are into vegan diets, mushroom is the only true vegan food that is completely plant based.
- Mushrooms have anti-inflammatory properties
Mushrooms are packed with selenium. It is a very powerful antioxidant and has proven to prevent conditions and diseases like:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cognitive decline
- Thyroid disease
Other antioxidants that can be found in mushrooms are glutathione and ergothione. These two antioxidants are considered to be essential for anti-aging. They prevent risks of cognitive decline and oxidative stress which helps in the anti-aging process.
- Mushrooms help in improving your gut health
The good bacteria in our gut helps us with the following:
- Longevity, etc
It has been found through studies that mushrooms, tout mushrooms to be specific, are powerful prebiotics. Mushrooms, thus can easily transform the micro biomes in our body to help in producing more variety of healthy bacteria.
- Mushrooms are excellent source of Vitamin B
Mushrooms are packed with proteins. It is an obvious supplement of meat for a vegetarian or a vegan. If you have recently turned into a vegan and looking for something that would be both delicious and healthy- your answer lies with this great fungus. Mushrooms are rich in Vitamin B such as riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. How do these three B vitamins help us?
- Riboflavin helps our body to produce energy.
- Niacin is essential for metabolizing macro nutrients, such as proteins, carbohydrates and fats, in our body
- Pantothenic acid helps in hormone production and is also considered essential for assisting the nervous system. As per researches, hundred gram serving of white button mushroom gives us quarter of our needs of riboflavin, 18% requirement of niacin and 15% requirement of pantothenic acid. Deficiency of Vitamin B are found more in women which is why they should definitely add mushrooms to their everyday meals.
- Mushrooms are rich in Potassium
Potassium is one of the most beneficial nutrients. It is vital for electrolyte balance and muscle contraction. It is also a nutrient that helps with workout recovery. Other health benefits of potassium include:
- Lowers blood pressure
- Protection from stroke
- Prevents Osteoporosis
- Prevents Kidney stones
Bananas are usually considered a popular source of potassium but researchers found that mushrooms offer a hefty dose of it as well. Surprisingly, one cup of cooked mushrooms is found to have more potassium than a medium sized banana.
Mushrooms come in various varieties and are named according to their shapes. Here is a list of different variety of regularly available mushrooms.
- Button Mushrooms
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Shhitake Mushrooms
- Oyester Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushrooms
Wondering where could you find them? First and foremost, let us make it clear that we are not talking about any hard to find fungi here. We are talking about the regular mushrooms that you can find in the local markets. Also, you can easily buy shrooms Canada at affordable prices online. You can have them in your soup or salad or pizza or even coffee.